July 08, 2013
Register Now For Our Free Webinar On Education Rights of Children in Congregate Care
posted by Juvenile Law Center
Nationally, nearly half of youth who age out of foster care will not complete high school on time. Youth in congregate care facilities often face the toughest educational challenges.
Free webinar training on the education rights of children in residential facilities
When: July 30, 2012 | 12:00 - 1:30 PM
Who Should Attend: Attorneys for children; child-serving professionals
Cost: Free. Registration required.
Register now >>
On July 30, from 12 - 1:30 PM, Juvenile Law Center and Education Law Center-PA are hosting a free webinar to provide information on how you can protect and advance the education rights of your clients who are in congregate care in Pennsylvania.
This webinar will benefit attorneys and other child-serving professionals in Pennsylvania as well as those in other states that are seeking to implement similar laws and policies.
Topics To Be Covered Include:
- The right to attend the school the child previously attended (school stability)
- The right to go to the public school in the community where the facility is located
- Relevant special education protections and process regarding placement
- Examples of services to put in the IEP to support success in a public school
- Appointment of Education Decisionmakers/surrogate parents
- Courtroom advocacy to address a child's educational needs
- Kate Burdick, Esq., Equal Justice Works Fellow (sponsored by Greenberg Traurig), Juvenile Law Center
- Maura McInerney, Esq., Senior Staff Attorney, Education Law Center-PA
Tags:Child Welfare|Juvenile and Criminal Justice|Education